- This event has passed.
The 30th Annual Bikur Cholim Conference: The Bikur Cholim Experience
November 10, 2019 @ 9:15 AM - 3:15 PM$36
Enhancing Our Life and the Lives of those we Visit
Outstanding keynote speakers — practical workshops – fellowship with remarkable people.
Our Keynote Speakers
Dr. David Pelcovitz, Ph.D., an internationally acclaimed trauma expert who has published and lectured extensively on positive psychology, abuse, loss, and parenting, is the Straus Professor of Psychology and Education for Yeshiva University’s Azrieli Graduate School.
Rabbi Benzion Leser is Posek for The Jewish Board and the Senior Director Of Chaplaincy & Pastoral Care at Maimonides Medical Center.
Schedule of events:
9:15 AM: Registration and Breakfast
9:45 AM: Welcome by Rabbi Simkha Y. Weintraub, LCSW, Rabbinic Director, The Jewish Board
10:00 AM: Keynote Presentation: The Power and Soul of Chesed and Its Meaning for Our Lives by Dr. David Pelcovitz, Ph.D., sponsored by MJHS Hospice and Palliative Care
10:45 AM: Morning Workshops
12:15 PM: Lunch and Networking, sponsored by Caring Professionals
12:40 PM: Keynote Presentation: Enhancing Our Life and the Lives of Those We Visit; Healing Encounters in Bikur Cholim by Rabbi Benzion Leser, sponsored by MJHS Hospice and Palliative Care
1:10 PM: Tribune to Rabbi Isaac N. Trainin z’l
1:30 PM: Afternoon Workshops
3:00 PM: Closing Remarks, Misheberach Prayer for Healing
3:15 PM – 3:45 PM Optional Film Viewing
- Film Viewing Option 1: “Turn to Me” – The Bikur Cholim documentary, a film by Murray Nossel, Oscar Award nominee
- Film Viewing Option 2: “The Act of Visiting” – Scripted scenarios with actors dramatizing 3 visiting situations to help teach techniques of visiting.
- Building a Caring Community: Organizing
- Essential Visiting Skills: The How To’s
- Expressive Writing as Healing
- Filling in the Gaps: Visiting those with Dementia and Memory Impairment
- Self-Care and Living with Vitality
- Visiting with Someone at End of Life
- Bikur Cholim in the 21st Century! Inventive and Practical ideas
- Inside the Texts
- The Shiva Visit and Nichum Aveilim: Being Present at a Time of Loss and Bereavement
- When a Child is Ill
- Creative Connections
- Elderlaw and Financial Planning
- Addiction and Bikur Cholim
This conference is made possible thanks to David and Naomi Balto’s generosity and commitment to Bikur Cholim, our co-sponsors MJHS Hospice and Palliative Care, Caring Professionals, Calvary Hospital, Bainbridge Adult Day Care Center, and COHME, and our partners Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, Lenox Hill Bikur Cholim, DOROT, Ateret Avot, NechamaComfort, Chai Lifeline, Pierro, Connor & Strauss, and the Plutzer Family Fund.
About Jewish Community Services
The Jewish Board’s Jewish Community Services (JCS) integrates expertise in social work with spiritual care, providing a broad range of services to Jewish organizations, individuals, and families facing life’s challenges and transitions. Events like these are made possible as part of our Lynn and Jules Kroll Jewish Community Consultation Services.